Posted by naruse on 8 Sep 2016
We are pleased to announce the release of Ruby 2.4.0-preview2.
Ruby 2.4.0-preview2 is the second preview of Ruby 2.4.0. This preview2 is released to get feedback from the community. Feel free to send feedback since you can still influence the features.
Though ISO/IEC 30170:2012 doesn’t specify details of the Integer class, Ruby had two visible Integer classes: Fixnum and Bignum. Ruby 2.4 unifies them into Integer. All C extensions which touch the Fixnum or Bignum class need to be fixed.
String/Symbol#upcase/downcase/swapcase/capitalize(!) now handle
Unicode case mappings instead of only ASCII case mappings.
Ruby 2.4 also contains the following performance improvements including language changes:
[x, y].max and
[x, y].min are optimized to not create a temporary array
under certain conditions.
Regexp#match?, which executes a regexp match without creating
a back reference object and changing
$~ to reduce object allocation.
Other performance improvements
Ruby ignores exceptions in threads unless another thread explicitly joins them.
report_on_exception = true,
you can notice if a thread has died due to an unhandled exception.
Send us feedback what should be the default for
and about report-on-GC, which shows a report when a thread is
garbage collected without join.
Ruby has deadlock detection around waiting threads, but its report doesn’t include enough information for debugging. Ruby 2.4’s deadlock detection shows threads with their backtrace and dependent threads.
Try and enjoy programming with Ruby 2.4.0-preview2, and send us feedback!
Other notable changes since 2.3
- Support OpenSSL 1.1.0
- ext/tk is now removed from stdlib Feature #8539
With those changes, 2353 files changed, 289057 insertions(+), 73847 deletions(-) since Ruby 2.3.0!
- SIZE: 12463225 bytes
- SHA1: 95a501624f1cf4bb0785d3e17afd0ad099f66385
- SHA256: 2224c55b2d87b5c0f08d23a4618e870027dbc1cffbfb4a05efd19eac4ff4cf1d
- SHA512: 0c9a59a2f57a99c4ee8539a30f41da1de7547566203f89d856e1be9dbb44365754e6c470145dc9336eb324e0feb2f53d9fef18a1564968ac21f9ee528905949f
- SIZE: 15586514 bytes
- SHA1: 492a13c4ddc1c0c218433acb00dcf7ddeef96fe0
- SHA256: fec544836428aada2dc593a8cc42ce330798a805e49ecb807a0e21b386fd0b14
- SHA512: 5a3de852a7611e79f38219ed7bb13772aaabb25538ca843d38743180a0cc939a4e34c008b61d578da785285196b6b8882270bddc17cbed481237db8afa4c54e4
- SIZE: 9886832 bytes
- SHA1: 95d5fd7d54d86497194f69ec433755a517dcde8f
- SHA256: 6c2d25bedc50c2f19b0e349f0ffd9b9a83000d9cb6a677bf5372fb493d33e16a
- SHA512: b9bd898d17583103ee61b4764ac86eb62c9661fca1f41ff0d06a15965a0a1ba581491d4b8a342e527d63e102b6ddcb2acebdabe5b246409ce9711e13f9428d5b
- SIZE: 17401564 bytes
- SHA1: 5f3a5b2fd03f70d49e74ec36be3e0c110f6c17cc
- SHA256: 4d0e466148283ad52208b1e1b70b018aefb7fa95b490fc862d5ea4ca284ecdd2
- SHA512: 0ef2098d995238580245a4bcee843641199c1194189be13614611e2ffec329278072319a799d409eaf13b1cff45f05a0eae02d9ea8ccc69058fa49e03eca0130
See also the release schedule and other information: